Soo last weekend I went crazy and decided to drive from DC all the way to Rehoboth Beach Delaware for their end of the Summer circuit party which is also a charity event called SunDance.
Sundance is one of the biggest and hottest events on the east coast (Besides the straight electric zoo in NYC and Randalls Island….XM radio sponsored it this year and the music was freaking amazing) and it not only raises a ton of money for the Gay Rehoboth Beach Charity Camp Rehoboth, but it also gets you out of all of the bars in Gay Rehoboth Beach and into a fun and loud music event that not only takes place annually at the Rehoboth Beach Convention Center, but also lets you drink top shelf liquor and red bull for free all night at their open bar and because it is a private event, it is open and serving alcohol until 2 am instead of the normal 1 am time that all of the other gay bars in Rehoboth Beach have to stop and shut down at. However, if you plan on drinking, either ride a bike to the Convention center for sundance or have someone who can drive you as there are a million sobriety check points and they are very strict on drinking and driving which in my opinion is one of the best and smartest things to do.
So why would you want to go to sundance or a circuit party in Rehoboth Beach Delaware?
Sun dance is 100% different than most gay parties and clubs that you go to. There aren’t a million twinks running around on Crystal Meth and the group isn’t rude and all about excluding and being rude to older people and people who don’t have perfect bodies. Instead it is eveyone who actually lives in Gay Rehoboth Beach Delaware on the East Coast and all of the Peopl from DC, Philly, Baltimore, and other cities that are close by who just want to get away, have fun and not be their normal stuck up and overly rude personalities. Sure there are still a ton of twinks there, but you also have a huge bear and leather community, a bunch of preppy people, professionals, service people, and everyone else in between and all of them just want to have fun and celebrate the end of summer. I love SunDance in Rehoboth Beach and think that if you have never been there before, then you seriously need to give it a try. It is one of the last Parties left that is actually all about music and fun and raising money for the local AIDS charity and not all about drugs and being as assh*le. It is one of the only parties the we actually all look forward to every year on the east coast if you cannot get to Fire Island and it is always a good time. However, if you know you won’t want to drive home after the party is over, you may want to get a hotel room for the night. Here are my recommendations.
1. The Shore Inn – Run by Rick and Ed…I used to stay at this hotel for years and love them. However it is clothing optional so be prepared and Rick gets really weirded out by bringing people back to your rooms so remember to only sleep with hotel guests….that is an inside joke that you’ll get when you stay there. The rooms are cramped and old, but the service and the hospitality and the guests are absolutely amazing. If you want a good bed and breakfast feel when you are staying in rehoboth and a fun time, the Shore Inn in Rehoboth Beach is the best gay getaway hotel and destination for you. It is also a block up from the very popular leather bar (that everyone goes to anyways called the Double L)
2. The Canal Side Inn. The Canal Side in is a mixed hotel of straight and gay people and is off of rehoboth avenue. It is set back along the canal that goes under the main bridge so watch for the turn directly after the draw bridge to get there and offers a bed and breakfast feel in a new building and amazingly comfortable beds. However it is set off of the main strip, but not by far so be ready to walk 10 to 20 minutes to get where you want to go.
3. The Atlantis Hotel on Rehoboth Avenue is a run down but well kept hotel right in the heart of Gay Rehoboth Beach Delaware. It is not only affordable but clean and easy to get around from. I like this place if nothing else is available but if you are new and want to be in the middle of everything that Rehoboth Beach has to offer, this hotel is for you. You can walk to Partners, Blue Moon, Aqua, Double L, Zues and all of the other bars as well as the convention center for Sun Dance over Labor Day Weekend.
4. The Breakers Hotel. The Breakers Hotel is right next to the convention center. It is an older hotel but clean and right by the beach so you can easily walk to all of the gay bars and be at the beach within 5 minutes of walking and you will have access to all of the shopping on and near by rehoboth avenue and all of the food there. It is a pretty ok hotel and if you want something cheap that is clean and usually has open rooms, try the Breakers Hotel in Rehoboth.
5. Any Bed and Breakfast. One thing that people love about going to Rehoboth is that there are a ton of Gay Friendly or Run Bed and Breakfasts. They are cheap and affordable and you get to meet the owners and hang out with all of the other guests so if you want to meet new people or go by yourself, either stay at The Shore Inn or a Bed and Breakfast and you will always have someone to go out drinking with or to lay on the beach with….that is one thing I love about the town, there are always people looking for someone else to hang out with.
Rehoboth is a really cool gay beach on the East Coast and if you are looking for a new place to take a gay vacation, you may want to try Rehoboth Beach Delaware, especially the week before and during Labor Day weekend for SunDance which is the largest circuit party and gay bar in Rehoboth Beach. Here are some pictures I took with my phone to share with all of you and before I go, you should also stop and shop at these stores before making your trip to pick up beach toys, glowing toys for the beach and at night and circuit party toys for the actual parties.